Air Filters...............HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Chris, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

Im a new member and everyone has been fantastic here so far.........well.........I need some more help, im picking up my new car on Friday (Impreza Turbo 2000 AWD) [:D] (Can wait - Woo Hoo!!!!) anyway - the point is......it already has a full stainless steel subaru race exhaust fitted and im wondering should i replace my air filter element or should i get an induction kit?! Would i see that much of a difference for the money of the induction kit? Ive been told to go for a Pipercross induction kit by a local shop, but i see K+N everywhere, which one? and filament or induction kit? Please somebody HELP!!!!!!! [:)]

Thanks Everyone

Chris

2. scoobyphil2000

scoobyphil2000 No there not new wheels

an sti panel filter is worth the money if you dont wont to shell out too much cash on an induction kit[:D]

ps what year car is it[?]

3. KEV C

KEV C Lifetime and founder member

You can get "Powertec" induction kits for around £90 and they
    e as good as the Blitz Sus, in fact i know somebody who might just have one[;)]

4. scoobyphil2000

hope thay are good kev iv got 1 sat here waitin to go on mine [:D]all shiny in a new box[8D]

5. gerry

gerry Active Member

i can sell you a dump valve!!!

6. KEV C

No good in a box Phil, go and get your hands dirty[:D]

7. KEV C

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gerry</i>
    <br />i can sell you a dump valve!!!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Trust you,is that what he asked for[:D][;)]

8. scoobyphil2000

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KEV C</i>
    <br />No good in a box Phil, go and get your hands dirty[:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<font size="4">lol</font id="size4">

9. gerry

gerry Active Member

ha ha!!!!!

10. Fixel

Fixel New Member

Going by this test, Id stay clear of the HKS Mega Flow and Blitz Sus filters.

Also, isn the STI panel filter non-reusable? Might be worth considering replacement or cleaning costs when buying a new filter. [:)]

11. gerry

gerry Active Member

i see???? my 99 turbo has a piper x filter.

12. Chris

Chris New Member

my car is a 98 R Reg 2 Litre Turbo. So, what an induction kit? Powertec compared to pipercross? What do you think?

13. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

<font color="blue">All you need is the STi Panel Filter, you have very little else to gain at the moment.

Good cost effective mod and available with discount for Full Members![;)]

You seen ELV1S yet[?]</font id="blue">

14. Chris

Chris New Member

Sorry to sound really stupid but will the STi Panel Filter fit in my car?

Yeah i emailed ELV1S just waiting for my reply so i can become a fully fledged member!

15. scoobyphil2000

16. Chris

Chris New Member

okay, so where do i get one from? How much?

17. ScoobyDan

ScoobyDan New Member

STI panel filters cost about £50 from Prosport in Stockport. Green filters get good reviews too and these have the benefit of being reusable, the STI item is a disposable service item. Many induction kits have a bad reputation on Subarus as they tend to suck in hot air from the engine bay which isn great and they can vibrate leading to the early failure of MAF sensors if not securely mounted. Another option is a cold air induction kit which fits in the inner wing such as the APS, these draw in cool air but are quite expensive and most reputable tuners only recommend fitting one of these just before a remap.

18. You could always buy a cleanable panel filter.
    I run a green cotton - never had a single problem with it - plus for £18 you can get a cleaning kit that should make the whole lot last longer than the car.

It also got better results than a STI filter on a back to back Rolling Road run.

19. ELV1S

ELV1S Administrator

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chris</i>
    <br />Sorry to sound really stupid but will the STi Panel Filter fit in my car?

Yeah i emailed ELV1S just waiting for my reply so i can become a fully fledged member!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Chris YHM mate [;)]

20. Chris

Chris New Member

Thanks for my mail Dave, I would love to come to your next meeting and give you some cash then thanks for the invite. Is there anything i need to know about the meeting? anything else i need to bring? Directions? things like that........Do i just make my way there or do you meet up somewhere else first? Can i bring my lovely lady with me? Sorry for all the questions, just making sure i get it right!!!!