4 Pot help

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Greyscale, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Greyscale

Greyscale 2011 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Estate Titanium X

Hi Lads

Decided to do my front discs and pads today but have found a stuck piston. Tried levers and pumping to free but not budging. How difficult is a caliper rebuild? Can't cycle to work everyday so need to be able to do in a day.

Steve :(

2. whizzkid

whizzkid New Member

might be worth giving brian a ring at cams these are not uncommon on 4pots. Are the rubber seals ok, are the pistons clean under the seals. I have had this problem before. do a caliper rebuild as a last resort you might not need to do this, i have never had to have a caliper rebuilt and always managed to free it.

3. markscooby

markscooby Active Member

brakes

try brakes international a ring they do new ones on a exchange bases im sure gt do same

4. skins21

skins21 Active Member

i had a set done f pickup

before

[​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

got them done at cotcomp

5. Greyscale

Brakes International are out of stock of refurbs and I really need to turn this round quickly. I'll put an ad in the wanted section.

Steve

6. Obey 1

Obey 1 Well-Known Member

callipers

just attempted mine today replace the discs and pads couldnt get the calliper sliding pins out no matter what i did they didnt budge they were well seized in so ive had to order a set of pins from cotcomp and going to chop out the old pins :x :x :x

7. Greyscale

One of mine was the same. Looked like someone had domed the end over. Had to file it then drift it through with pin remover. Do you know if your pistons are sticking?

Steve

8. Obey 1

Obey 1 Well-Known Member

breaks

i think one is sticking on passenger side wont know now till get new pins and strip :wink:

9. Greyscale

Taking my NS off this morning. Will give you a shout if I get stuck :lol: :lol:

10. Greyscale

Squeel Shims?

Right I've got the NS off after a bit of pin trouble. Better news though the 4 pistons all returned fine. However this side has no pad shims at all. Are these neccesary?

A quick response would be much appreciated.

Steve

11. Obey 1

Obey 1 Well-Known Member

4 pot

not sure but are these anything to do with heat being transfered but some better technical guys will come along soon

12. Shmerman

Shmerman Active Member

I thought they were anti squeal myself but not sure if I just made that up.

13. Greyscale

Right I've finished the LHS and no problems there. I still cant free the 1 stuck piston on the RHS so getting the new pads in was tight. Been for a test drive and the RHS is getting hot. Need to get this sorted. If I do try a strip down how do you get the pistons out?

Steve

14. Davo

Davo New Member

Save yourself all the hassle, blood,sweat and tears and buy some refurbed 4 pots off Brian at Godspeed Brakes; I paid £200 for the pair and they were painted the colour I wanted; the calipers are refurbed with stainless steel pistons - so no more rusty siezing problems, my brakes are better than stock factory 4 pots, they'll send you over't handle bars well impressed! :wink:

15. Greyscale

Nicely refurbed set turned up today thanx to scoobytek in fleetwood. Strangely I'm looking forward to swapping mine out on saturday.

16. Davo

Davo New Member

You know it makes sense :wink:

17. Greyscale

Bolt Torque

Me again

Anyone know the correct torque setting for the 2 caliper bolts on 4 pots?

Steve

18. Davo

Davo New Member

Good and tight, they're a BIG bolt also I used locktite on mine.....I think they are around the 50 - 60 ft lb mark; I did my calipers with the car jacked up off a trolley jack so I couldn't use my torque wrench didn't have the ground clearance :shock: :wink: