320-350 bhp wrx

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by ellierotty, Sep 24, 2013.

1. ellierotty

ellierotty Member

Can anyone recommend the bits needed to achieve this from a blob wrx??

Atm its about 260-270bhp with panel filter, 2nd decat removed and s/s exhaust, not sure who mapped it from previous owner.

any info peeps :)

2. ...is there any reason you can't have an STI ?

Easiest (and cheapest) way to 350 is to swap the WRX for a STI, decat it, add some inexpensive bits & pieces then remap it.

It also means you can stick with standard bits like the brakes, suspension etc

3. Toffee

Toffee New Member

^^^ do what he said :wink:

4. ellierotty

ellierotty Member

problem is an STI are going for 7-8K .which I would need to put 4-5k plus my car.

So if I can pick some bargain bits up, bolt them on and get it mapped it should work out a bit cheaper :D

poss list maybe completely wrong lol

pink injectors £100
    Fuel pump £50
    Td05???? £200
    Front decat £50
    maybe sti or front mount???

Plus mapping costs £

5. Tim

Tim LADS Sponsor

We have an sti for sale, rolling roaded less than a month ago at ~340bhp, it's is for sale at £7,500 with all mods still on

If you want us to work out a price with yours as a p/x then let me know :)

6. matt

matt Member

I am going the same way, I have a Blobeye WRX and have been collecting bits and bobs for a few months now. (secret shelf in the garage...) swapping the WRX for an STi is not an option as we are skint and house hunting!
    I have already messed with the suspension, BC coilovers, front and rear whiteline ARB's and drop links. This made a massive difference. It has a cat back exhaust system and a turbo smart BOV fitted too.

I currently have on the shelf:
    Rear Sti brakes.
    Sti top mount intercooler.
    Sti injectors.
    turbo timer.
    Intercooler water spray.
    Hard pipe inner wing induction kit.
    camber bolts.

I think I need:
    de-cat down pipe.
    up pipe or headers.
    Turbo.
    ALF kit.
    Front brakes.
    Fuel pump.
    Air filter for inner wing.
    Rear strut brace.
    some sort of gauges/data monitoring warning system.

I can keep picking parts up as I see good quality examples at sensible prices. It will take a little while but will hopefully be worth it!

All advice welcome as usual!

7. ellierotty

ellierotty Member

mine is just a cheap hobby aswell. Didn't pay much for the wrx and only use it at weekends :D . If it goes pop, it can go the scrappers :lol:

8. ellierotty

ellierotty Member

Thanks for that Tim but way out my price range :wink:

9. Tim

Tim LADS Sponsor

No worries, as another option we've had a crashed car come in for breaking yesterday with a few toys on it, pink injectors, fuel pump, up-pipe, turbo etc which is all for sale, if you pm me a shopping list I can get you a price to do it that way

10. ellierotty

ellierotty Member

darn you :D pm sent ha

11. scoobaru mad

scoobaru mad Active Member

Ive done exactly the same as you bud. Tuned bug WRX hopefully making 340-350bhp.

Collected all the bits over a few months, then had Brian and Mr Carr work their magic. And the car is spot on

I heard the same thing when getting the bits for mine. "Just get an sti" worked out i would of needed 7.5k all in to buy and insure (peeps forget insurance lol). Which i simply dont have. I know the WRX is no were near as strong an may give up any day. But till that time comes. She'l do for now

12. Gaz2293

Gaz2293 New Member

I did it on my old bug a few years back, VF35, Pinks, Decat, sti intercooler and some big brakes....then sti suspension with H&R lowering springs, arb's, Droplinks etc....Then interior/exterior....It just doesn't stop :lol:

The basics are the first 5 on the list with a fuel pump and plugs to be on the safe side, Should see average 330/330....Mine hit 332/329....shame I wrote it off after 5 years.....But as Darren or mick said(can't remember which now ;) ) every tree has a silver lining :D

13. mickp

mickp Well-Known Member

I think that was your lucky tree Gaz. It all dropped into place after that 8) :D

14. scalesy

scalesy New Member

Insurance was £80 more on a STI than a wrx for me :lol: I have had tuned WRX's newage and Classics and had STI's in both and must say STI is the way too go! ;) But if not go the tdo5 or vf35 way can be as fast as a STI down a straight road but will not drive like a STI hard to explain it's just all the STI parts add up to make such a different beast that feels so much more hard-core go test drive one! The 6 speed is the best bit as you can drive it as hard as you like and the Brembo's all round giving you the stoping power you need at 350bhp and then there is the Sti shocks a massive difference in handling but just these mods will set you back £2.5k min! Then you got about £1200 in parts and mapping to get 320+bhp so when you can geta nice classic STI for £3.5-4.5k or a ok bug STI for 4.5k and a minter for 6k it's a buyers market as subaru price's are at a low at the min! Nearly tempted back myself!

But still a 320-350bhp WRX is still a serious weapon and loads of Fun! 8) Sky is the limit just got to watch you don't spend to much on the beast! :twisted:

My old Bug WRX wagon runing a vf28 and ran a tdo5 on this one. This was full decated /STI pinks / Fuel pressure reg / Mr Carr remap / induction kit / And more but still on the wrx TMIC ha ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8CgZWm ... ata_player

15. ellierotty

ellierotty Member

Thanks for the info matey :). I think you have had way too many scoobs

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've been down this road with my Wrx and glad I didn't get a sti , rear shocks seized so had to get coil overs (41k) , turbo failed so got a vf35 ( 45k ish ) front brake pots seized so upgraded to 8 pots, it's all swings and roundabouts , if you have the cash go Sti , of not wrx but either way your talking £££££ to keep them maintained . Mine is 300+ bhp and is great

17. ellierotty

ellierotty Member

got most of my bargain bits :D all from the bay 2nd hand. £300 ish

[​IMG]

18. ellierotty

ellierotty Member

think the main cost is going to be the remap :?

19. cargrabber

cargrabber New Member

had mine remapped by ant edmondson in darwen at a very reasonable price. Its only a wrx and only running on 95ron but pushing 284 bhp and 342 lb/ft of torque. Ant virtually begged me to run it on " super " but I can't as many places I go to its not obtainable, hence the reason I got a wrx not an STI. I haven't replaced any of the mechanicals ie turbo, injectors etc, just a full exhaust including headers with sports cat, K&N typhoon intake and a bailey dump valve. A larger turbo and intercooler along with injectors and a fuel pump and a tank of "super" would push it way past 300, but without the forged internals of the STI I would be seriously worried about a big bang :lol:

20. kevmac

kevmac Member

I've got a wrx with the same mods you've got
    Andrew c mapped mine @ 347bhp/343ftb
    It's been running that for a good while ask Brian/ cams