Chips away?

Discussion in 'General LADS chat' started by TEACHn17, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TEACHn17

TEACHn17 Active Member

i need a small paint chip repairing on the drivers side rear door. I was at a meeting today and parked out of the way (so I thought ) some bitch in a red evoque parked next to me but left before I did. Upon leaving I noticed a chip that has been done by the stupid bitch hitting my car with her door. I am fuming. So I didn't get her plate and the place doesn't take registrations either. Hate her and hope some chav robs her car and burns it out. However how much will I have to pay for her not giving a sh@t?

2. KEV C

KEV C Lifetime and founder member

I wouldn't use Chips Away if they offered to do the job for free !!!!!

3. TEACHn17

TEACHn17 Active Member

They that bad?

4. mickp

mickp Well-Known Member

Fully agree with Kev. Used them once many years ago and that was the very last time. Awful job.

5. TEACHn17

TEACHn17 Active Member

Any suggestions for a little chip touch up then? I've also just kerbed a bloody wheel, aaaaahhhhhhhhh:mad:

6. KEV C

KEV C Lifetime and founder member

First off all, they're working out of the back of a van so what type of job do you think you're going to get? Secondly, they're cheap for a reason and the internet is rife with horror stories and finally, in my eyes the most important, you're an enthusiast with a Subaru and you shouldn't even be considering this BUT it's your choice at the end of the day.
    Good luck in getting it sorted though, nothing worse than getting your car damaged and some Wa**er driving away :devil:

ZANNY likes this.
  7. TEACHn17

TEACHn17 Active Member

I need suggestions of who to take it to without being told 'oh we will have to paint the whole door'

8. ZANNY

ZANNY JDM WIDETRACK SPEC Z

How bad is the chip? you got any clear pics that way easier to decide how much of a job it really is teach

9. TEACHn17

TEACHn17 Active Member

No pics. The car needs a good wash first so you can see it properly. But it's a small chip

10. TEACHn17

TEACHn17 Active Member

Not a great pic

Attached Files:

11. TEACHn17

TEACHn17 Active Member

Another

Attached Files:

12. ZANNY

I'd get in touch with the polishing booth on here or someone in the valeting trade teach I reckon they could work some magic on it to be honest, as its a metallic paint no touch up will be right unless its prepped and done right maybe you could get away with a good old buff up or sumat like that but if going down the paint route it will do your head in as you know it's there if it's been touched up as touch up is exactly that a touch up never gna be right infact it'll stick out if not a good match which it won't be... unless it's a bodyshop doing the work and not a mobile thingie

Just my 20p's worth

13. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

sadly,

live with it

only right way to do it would be blending

14. ZANNY

Sorry to sound dumb jake what is blending? Only asking as I don't know

15. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

other option is to change the door if you can find a mint one, crystal grey tends to be a good match from car to car

16. ZANNY

The Subaru breakers in Blackpool broke a crystal grey one not so long ago...

17. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

very rare you will get a colour what is called edge to edge,

imagine,

fresh paint on the full door, it would stand out,

with blending you go into the adjacent panels, and gradually fade the new paint into the old paint, this transition it then seamless, with silvers you take it a step further with blending the clear coat too as you can shange the shade of silvers, by overdoing the clear coat.

new colours are even worse as there xirrillic tinters and 3 stage colours not, like those three scoobs you photogrphed at the meet, that pearl white is a pita lol

ZANNY likes this.
  18. TEACHn17

TEACHn17 Active Member

The car is silver but looks grey it's that dirty. How much do you recon to get it painted then jake?

19. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

tbh bud,

id reccomend living with it, imo

i always advocate keeping factory paint where you can, and in reality your painting the full side of your car for such a small mark.

jake

20. ZANNY

Aaah that makes total sense and the proper way to do it priceless input..
    That pearl white on Nigel's new scoob is sickk though, I wish my blob was that colour jake ;) I can spend more hours waxing it then:D