My new 97 wrx import Build Thread

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by woztek1981, Feb 21, 2015.

1. woztek1981

woztek1981 New Member

20150221_102330.jpg 20150221_102248.jpg 20150221_102347.jpg 20150220_104947.jpg
    hello all, my first build thread so bare with me. My cars a 97 import WRX, Imported to uk in 2005. LADSOC members car previously. It has an STI intercooler, VF28 turbo, 440 injectors, steel head gaskets, manual boost controller (temp) running 1.2bar boost. 3" japspeed stainless from turbo back, hks panel filter. I run the car on tesco momentum. Not sure of BHP, previous owner stated 320bhp but till i get a dyno run im not sure. I plan on just enjoying the car for a few months while iron out a few things and save some pennies, i have fitted a new gearbox as it had no 4th gear, tacho with shift light, re located boost gauge, fitted oil temp and volt digital gauges And a turbo timer. Car has no rust/rot so i plan on some preventive measures. First things i want to do are td05 turbo with fmic and a remap inc al+lc then go from there. thanks for reading, i will update asap :)

2. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

Looks good fella, this should be an interesting build thread, looking forward to it.:)

If I may can I offer a suggestion? If your not going beyond 400 bhp (and unless it's forged you won't be with that engine or those injectors) save yourself some cash and don't bother with front mount, not needed. Just fit the bulkhead plumbing and top mount from a new age STi.;)

woztek1981 likes this.
  3. woztek1981

woztek1981 New Member

Only looking for 350bhp initialy so good advice ta, forging depends on how long i have the car. Any specific year new age sti tmic?

4. TunnelMeister

Think mine has a 2008, for 350 max a WRX one would probably do the trick.:)

Btw, don't forge that engine, swap it for something bigger.... Lol. ;)

5. woztek1981

woztek1981 New Member

Ill start searching ;-)

6. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

Just seen you driving past the ford garage:cool:

7. woztek1981

woztek1981 New Member

cool :cool: them temp lights on eastern ave are a pain :mad:

Jwrx likes this.
  8. CAMS

CAMS LADS Sponsor

This car is running my old jap foz engine.

9. woztek1981

woztek1981 New Member

Cool, can you elaborate a bit pal, spec etc. Has a 1s ecu (out of sti wagon i believe) from what i can see sti cooler, a vf28 turbo, yellow injectors. Any idea what the bhp was? Cheers.

10. woztek1981

woztek1981 New Member

The car has a aluminium bonnet with the cooler water sprayers, they weren't hooked up, until today ;-) At the moment they are hooked to te rear washer pump and i teed the rear washer pipe into the front so front and rear work together and the rear washer switch on the dash is now for the cooler. I put straight water in the washer bottle ;-)

11. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Hi,

IMO it's pointless changing a VF28 for a TD05-16G or perhaps you were thinking of a -18G or -20G? VF28 will make more power and torque and be more driveable than a TD05-16G once properly setup.

Likewise if you are going to change the intercooler, then go straight to a front mount.

Comparing your engine and turbo with Steve's is a little unfair as he has more capacity, better cams and a turbo which is running very efficiently which all means the intercooler isn't having to do as much work,

Andrew...

woztek1981 likes this.
  12. TunnelMeister

We still need to do something about that Andrew, ;):)

woztek1981 likes this.