Exhaust and rattle

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by S16VEB, Jan 31, 2015.

1. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

Two problems.
    I fitted a new downpipe yesterday, and had to cut my centre pipe to be about 3-4 inches shorter to fit.
    I read last night that the classic has a centre pipe of 136cm and the new age has 126cm, is it possible my car had an exhaust from a classic fitted to it? It's a blob eye. I want to buy a new centre and rear section but worried about the sizes now.

At slow speeds I have a rattle from the left back corner, everything underneath is tight with no play that we can see. But it sounds more like it's in the interior. But then I can't find anything loose there. Anyone had this problem?
    Thanks guys

Jwrx likes this.
  2. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

Yeah sounds like your car had a classic full system fit, ive had a few issues in this dept' had a one piece Fuji classic exhaust on my bug, had to cut a few inch out, now got a blob down pipe with matching decat on my hawk as they are different lengths! As for the rattle mate it could be the shocker top mount! Common Prob especially from the left! Seems to take most hammer that side or so i was told...

3. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

Good to hear someone else has had the exhaust problem (well not good for you but you know what I mean).

I'll take a look at that top mount, thanks for the info!

Jwrx likes this.
  4. madman

madman Well-Known Member

I know it may be a long shot but have you looked behind the trim panel in the boot to see if the jack is loose .

ProdriveWagon likes this.
  5. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

Yep, everything is tight in there.

6. steve@cotcomp

steve@cotcomp LADS Sponsor & Techno Bod

ay up!

if it has the inverted dampers on its more likely to be them than the top mount;)

steve

Jwrx likes this.
  7. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

Cheers Steve
    I'll get the lads to have a look.

8. covak2002

covak2002 Active Member

classic has an extra hanger on the rear box that can foul did you cut this off sits to the rear of the silencer i had this issue aswell with my newage japspeed exhaust

9. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

I got the new exhaust fitted, all the correct length so I was relieved.
    Catching on the prop shaft bracket though, only really on a bit of over run and when I turn the engine off, but still if it's not perfect I'm not happy.

10. S16VEB

S16VEB Member

I got a few longer exhaust rubbers, but the holes were way too small to get onto the mounts.
    So I took off the exhaust, hit the part that was catching with a copper hammer a few times, little dent about 3mm deep. No more knocking from the exhaust. Job done.

Just need to get looking into this rattle from the rear. Found the jack was loose, got very excited that it might have been the problem, it wasn't. If it is the top mount I'm considering a full set up from scooby world but not told the missus just yet. Anyone got any experience of this set up?
    http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=39_268&products_id=3450

Blue hoses fitted while it was in there, photos soon.