Judder

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Amoruso, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Amoruso

Amoruso New Member

So i start driving around town and realise their is a judder every time I take off....

Does that mean my clutch is goin?

2. Sometimes its just the face plate that needs cleaning up - try a full bore start - it may help.

3. Amoruso

Amoruso New Member

wouldn't that just blow the clutch?

4. Presume its a 5 speed ?

They judder quite a lot from buuild up of material on the faceplate - a full bore strat "knocks" the deposits off.

If your clutch was "going", it would rev in high gears without gathering speed.

If you think it worn - try a hill start in 2nd and see what happens.

5. Amoruso

Amoruso New Member

Thats correct it is a 5 speed....

Hmm seems to drive completely fine except the takeoff part...

Guess ill try this Full Bore Start. Never done it before if someone can briefly explain the process or is it foot down and release clutch?

Thx for the prompt replies :D

6. st3vo

st3vo New Member

Is it a launch we are talkin about here?

7. Davo

Davo New Member

Andrew Carr re-map with launch control it's the future :lol: :wink:

8. Amoruso

Amoruso New Member

yup a launch that will help clear the face of the clutch...

9. Shmerman

Shmerman Active Member

4k rpm and side step the clutch.

10. Amoruso

Amoruso New Member

hmmmm cool may have to try this.... issue is finding an area without distrubing the peace :shock:

11. scoobaru mad

scoobaru mad Active Member

Got the same issue. 2002 bug WRX. An i also have launch control fitted :twisted:

With the high map switch on, Anti lag on (rarely used) an the use of the launch control, ive done one full launch :shock: an a few fast starts.

it did cure it for a few weeks, but is back again. But saying that. Mines still on the clutch from the factory. 12 years old, and 56k miles. From cold, it judders slightly on the biting point. It does this for about 10 mins. When warm, its sweet.

Going into Brians @ cams for a new one soon...

12. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

Go for a six speed box Chris. You've done very well on that five speed with your current setup but it's not the norm for them to last that long running that kind of poke.

13. st3vo

st3vo New Member

what kind of poke?

i was told that a five speed will handle 320bhp no worrys but 350bhp your playing with fire

14. scoobaru mad

Ahh see thats the thing Rich. Im selling the car soon bud. I just wanna make sure its reet for the next owner. If im honest, i might be wasting my money changing it, as many hardly notice anything. But i know its there lol.

Not a 100% whats next, but can promise i'll be back in an STI in the future

15. scoobaru mad

Ive read that too. But also read the late harvey smith RIP. Ran 400bhp on a 5 speed for quite a while.

And Andy forrest ran 380bhp through his WRX bug for 3 years, till it sold.

Just be sympathetic on the changes. No slamming it between gears, an cetainly no multiple launches.

Ive had virtually no issues bar the occasional judder from cold. Box is smooth.

The bug is circ 340-350bhp. And is quite healthy

16. st3vo

st3vo New Member

i have to ask while we are on the subject.. does your car hate being in congestion ques. my car judders ( i think judder is wrong word ) as soon as i touch the loud pedal its off, it doesent like going slow with clutch fully out
    but ive got lightened flywheel and exceedy fast road clutch, i always thought it was the lightened flywheel

17. scoobaru mad

Not at all mate. Its very civilised. Everything feels the same as the day I bought it... Until you flick a switch that ive appropriately labelled 'WARP DRIVE' lol

I haven't gone daft with it, just kept it subtle, even the exhaust that Brian got for me, a 3" revolution system. Which I love!!

I haven't blindly upgraded the power an hoped for the best. Nor have I tried to squeeze every ounce out the WRX engine. she just has productive mods which I spent a fair penny on to make sure (this time) it was done right. She's only boost spiking @ 1.3, and holding @ 1.2. Brian did a crackin job with the car, as always. An the map Andy did was spot on! 8)

There are many many horror stories on the net I know of 5 speeds giving up. but there are many many that are coping just fine. I put it down to the driving style. Throw it between gears after the power has been upped, then prepare to 'throw some money away.

Have a little mechanical sympathy, an you stand a better chance.

Mines gonna explode tomorrow now isn't it :lol: :lol:

18. scoobaru mad

just clicked on your lightened flywheel thing.

Yeah, I had a fidanza on my Accord Type R. you get a lot of engine braking because the flywheel as no inertia to spin the engine down slowly, you also had to raise the revs a little to stop it from stalling, to which nearly every person that drove it.... did :lol:

Might be different in a scoob, but that was my first, an last alloy flywheel lol :D

19. st3vo

st3vo New Member

yea i find myself forever dipping clutch to be trickling along smooth otherwise im kangarooing up the road like i cant drive :lol: and its very annoying when im trying to sip my morning brew on way to work :lol: :lol:

20. scoobaru mad

Lol, did that in the van last week with a coffee in ma lap.

The air turned blue i tell thee :lol: