wrx 300 and sti

Discussion in 'General LADS chat' started by Jayy, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Jayy

Jayy Member

Can someone tell me the difference between the wrx 300 and an sti? Is the 300 just souped up wrx or does it have the sti internals. Which would you have?

Thanks

2. CAMS

CAMS LADS Sponsor

Uk 300 is just standard wrx power.

3. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

Ah!! But do you mean uk300 as in bugeye or wrx300 as in blobeye either way they both came with prodrive performance packs, a 245bhp and a 265bhp was available on the bug and a 265bhp pack as standard on the blobeye plus a few other goodies

http://www.carpages.co.uk/subaru/subaru ... -05-05.asp

4. ProdriveWagon

ProdriveWagon 3rd Scoob = an ej20 engined Hatch

I'm pretty certain 300 means limited quantity of 300, not bhp :wink:

5. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

Yeah only made 300 off limited edit

6. Jayy

Jayy Member

Its was the blob eye...one for sale in preston so just wondered on the difference. I did think it was 300bhp tho ;) Performance seems to be better then a standard blob sti.

Would love a wr1 tho.

7. dtscooby

dtscooby Member

All the recommendations I had were to pay a bit more to get an sti.

8. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

9. dtscooby

dtscooby Member

Save some cash and buy an 05 wide track if you can find one!

10. scalesy

scalesy New Member

STI is the way to go m8 for sure so many extras over the WRX like brembo brakes and bullet proof six speed gearbox and lots more!

But i must say as above if you got the cash get a wide track STI or Jdm with DCCD as the 50\50 AWD on non DCCD cars gets boring very fast as its just like FWD you have to grab them buy the scruff of the neck and induce lift off over steer to get the back end out and kill the under steer when on it! Still fun but must say from owning a type-Ra and 4 other non DCCD subarus DCCD makes it much more fun and feel like a drivers car.

DCCD in manual mode makes a dynamic car giving proper over steer with the loud pedal on demand and best of all you can use the handbrake like a real rally car! 8)

11. gen01

gen01 Member

The WRX300 is actually quicker 0-60 (4.8sec) as it can get there in two gears rather than engaging 3rd gear as with the 6 speed STI.
    The WRX300 is also cheeper to maintain with regards to replacing certain components i.e suspension/break pads.

The WRX300 is really a standard WRX with a limited edition interior, gold wheels, a chrome effect gear knob and a PPP. However be careful i've seen a few advertised as WRX300's, when in fact there not their just standard WRX's. They will be badged 300 on each front wing below the indicators and on the boot below the WRX badge.
    I looked at a few a few years ago.

But yes save for a wide track STI if you can. (They've got better internals i.e brakes/suspension), especially if you start wanting to put mods on it.

As nice as a WRX300 is you will begin to have that feeling it's nice but 'Just not quite an STI.'!

Also when i was looking at insurance quotes it was cheaper to insure an STI than a WRX300!!!

12. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

13. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

A WRX with the PPP is not quicker than an STi, yes it has a quicker claimed 0-100kph figure but in the real world an STi would be ahead.

And if you really want to push figures, considering any such as standing quarters and 0-100mph then a stock STi is a considerably quicker car.

But who runs these things standard these days? A mapped STi (even a PPP'd one) would destroy a WRX PPP.

I know many people running 2.0 STis with standard internals and moderate suspension and brake upgrades that would obliterate most other cars.

14. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

A standard sti would be no match for a wrx PPP on the narrow twisty back roads fact!!
    Originally Posted by AndyC_772:
    Have you driven the STI?

It's a different beast - in particular you'll find that it has a much harder ride than a WRX and the engine is peakier. A WRX PPP is actually just as powerful as a standard STI too, and much more tractable around town.

The upside of the STI is that it handles and stops better and can be transformed by adding its own PPP - which is an absolutely essential £2000 upgrade IMHO. You also get better seats and all the cosmetic enhancements, but it's up to you as to whether you feel it's worth the money.

My feeling was that in standard form the STI was only half the car it should be, strangled by a restrictive exhaust and emissions-friendly map. PPP lets it breathe properly and makes for a totally different beast.

I'd be inclined to go for the WRX, but hey - test driving the STI will be fun anyway!
    Our own guru told me the best all rounder to buy is the GB270