Test pilots

Discussion in 'General LADS chat' started by AD, Oct 6, 2013.

1. AD

AD New Member

Had a guy come round to view car today, seemed keen and genuine. My advert says 3k. I gave him a run down on the car and a good test drive. He left saying he wanted it but had to speak to the wife. I said no problem it's 3k no offers. He has just phoned back to say he wants to buy it but as it needs tax he wants to pay £2400!!! What planet are some folk on!

2. scoobyphil2000

scoobyphil2000 No there not new wheels

thats why last year when i was going to sell mine, after the first few idiots i thought sod it ill keep it

3. AD

AD New Member

I am thinking the same bud!

4. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

Blooming heck - he's trying his arm ! You wanna see what some people bid, I bid harder than that !

5. He's also a member on here :wink:

TBH I'd look at it differently - if he's made an offer he's not a test pilot, but rather a genuine buyer, but one with a budget limit.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When I put mine on eBay a lad messaged me asking would I accept 2100 when bidding was already at 4400 :roll: Some clueless folk about

7. AD

AD New Member

The chap was a nice guy don't get me wrong, he has increased his bid but still not enough!

8. Gaz2293

Gaz2293 New Member

Tell him you'll put some tax on it and see if he is still interested, It's still a buyers market out there so you will get people trying it on.

9. Tony Burns

Tony Burns New Member

Tell him where to get off, i'll be putting my type R up for sale soon, I wont be accepting stupid offers of 4 or 5k (even lower with some of these muppets you get that really cannot afford to run a performance car) so i'll be focusing on the enthusiasts rather than the numpties :wink:
    Just fob them off, someone will offer you the right amount rather than try it on :?

10. AD

AD New Member

I have offered him a deal. See what happens as I haven't advertised anywhere else yet.

11. matt

matt Member

The worst feeling when you are buying something is when your first bid is accepted, as you know then you should have started the negotiation lower!
    A first bid is an opening of the negotiations, not the price people are usually expecting to pay.

12. I agree with Matt and would offer Tony £3k :wink:
    .....and I'm a "enthusiast" :lol:

Joking apart - The deal is between you & him - its hard for anyone else to offer any advise one way or the other.

All i'd add is that if you get to mutual ground you also have to factor in things like the lack of hassle, the cost of advertising, more test drives, no tax so you'd have to re tax it etc etc etc
    Sometimes a nice easy sale for a bit less than you expected is a blessing in the long run.

On the other hand (which is where I was when you bought from me) if you don't need to sell (or don't really want too) hold out for your price and see what happens.

All that said I wouldn't dismiss any offer until you have a better one :wink:

13. Tony Burns

Tony Burns New Member

Cheeky Chris :wink: but people should understand that when buying a 2nd hand car you will have overheads, I know for one that I will get the car fully serviced (thats a major service with all the oils/belts) as I did with the Spec C and the Type R. road tax, AD I would put 6 months on her, she is a nice example and sonic blue is rare (eu import) and tbh, a good classic is rare!

If you go out and buy a 2nd hand car and expect to pay nothing on overheads then you are a fool, you should always have some money on the side for consumables, if you are lucky then it will be all done but thats very rare.

14. :lol: @ Tony

P.S On Adam's other thread I think they may have come to an agreement ?