OBDII Reader App

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by thunderousity, May 21, 2013.

1. thunderousity

thunderousity Member

Does anyone use an OBD reader via their phone, tablet or laptop using an app or software.

Are they any good.

I was thinking this could be a cool option instead of going down the gauge route and have a live display on my phone such as oil temp etc.

I'm on android and also have Windows 8 laptop.

Whats your experience?

2. Graphite

Graphite 23rd June 2016 - Vote LEAVE EU!

Works well for UK spec cars - with the OBD2 protocol...

If your car is JDM it may not work as the Jap cars are not required to be compliant to OBD2

I have a cheapo ELM327 bluetooth dongle from ebay which works fine on my wifes Fiesta and my mates BMW z4M but will not find the ECU in my Legacy... :cry:

The VAG cable works though to connect to a laptop... But since I've managed to get hold of Mr Carr I haven't really bothered with messing with it :lol:

3. ellierotty

ellierotty Member

I have the wireless elm 372 so no cables anywhere with the dash command app on both the ipad and phone. works very well. can see all the paramaters you will ever need and also does logging which is very usefull :wink: . You can also upload and download custom gauges, backgounds etc 8) .

4. ProdriveWagon

ProdriveWagon 3rd Scoob = an ej20 engined Hatch

Oooooooo interested in this of U can get it and sort for Galaxy S3

What would I need?

5. ellierotty

ellierotty Member

they do one for the android system 8)

6. Gaz2293

Gaz2293 New Member

I've got a normal plug in scanner but also got an Ecutek Delta Dash which uses the OBD port but with that I can also log the ecu with it and use road dyno too.....If i knew what i was doing with it :D

7. Graphite

8. ProdriveWagon

Thank U very much my good man, I will defo be buying one of those and having a play soon :wink:

9. thunderousity

thunderousity Member

What protocol do the jdm cars use if not OBD2?

10. Graphite

SSM I think, Subaru Select Monitor...

OBDKey http://www.obdkey.com/ is supposed to be able to read it - but massively more expensive - and one of the lads on the liberty forum in OZ tried it with his car which is the same as mine and had no joy getting it working :cry:

11. thunderousity

thunderousity Member

12. Graphite

Yes... But!

That is using the OBDKey which is over £100 for the unit... supposed to support SSM - but as I mentioned a before, a chap in Australia cannot get his to work with his JDM Legacy. If I knew 100% it would work I would be sorely tempted to get one. But it's a long way from £6 for a ELM327 to give it a go :lol:

It would be nice if there was more info on these working with SSM.

13. klunker

klunker New Member

I use Torque on my Android, with a bluetooth dongle from Ebay.

Pretty goos.
    Reads faults, shows live data, you can put guages on and customise the display.

Also has a race mode which saves your best times 0-60, 0-100.
    G-meter, GPS. :twisted:

It would be awsome on a 7" tablet mounted where the clock is.

This one, which plugs in and fit's almost flush with the dash. So no banging your knee.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V1-5-Mini-Car ... 20d1b7fd50

14. Graphite

Here's a cracker...

In response to an email I sent on 24th Feb 2012...

So looks like it should be fixed... If anyone wants to give it a go - let me know how you get on :D

15. ProdriveWagon

Ok. So bought one offa ebay.

Quick try this morning and app found it but wouldn't link bluetooth tried 0000 and 1234 anyone had similar before I go onto the app forum or email seller.
    Will have another go after work. CHEERS

16. ESP Automotive

I'd recommend talking to these guys - they know just about everything about OBDII diagnostic gear: http://www.espautomotive.com

17. ProdriveWagon

Cheers.
    Up and runnin now got it talkin to phone
    Quick chuck a load of gauges onto screen.
    Everything showing readings but quite small on Galaxy S3 screen
    (Must remember to pinch wifeys tablet!)
    Family calling now! Will play more 2moro

A biggy! I can't alter anything with this can I it is READ ONLY yes? ?? ?

18. Graphite

If anyone wants to try one of these with their car I will bring it to the NBO and you can have a go... :mrgreen:

19. scoobyman316

scoobyman316 New Member

try rom raider. its excellent for early cars with obd. I also use torque for the android phone for obdII cars. but for impreza's rom raider works very well allows graphing etc
    [​IMG]

20. ProdriveWagon

I have been really impressed with this for a FREE app and 8.38 ebay outlay for the OBDII bluetooth gizmo. (The odd glitch getting it to start off, but this may be the sequence i put phone on/start car etc)

I have been watching the fuel economy which tallys up with what I worked out anyway (Originally had it set as 'real time' mpg which is fun, in extremes got 2mpg showing with foot down accelerating and then lifting off on motorway shows 220mpg! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Boost seems to be about right 0.8 normal 1.6 playtime :lol: :lol:
    (Bit annoying guage jumps from bar to psi when you start giving it some BEANS)

The coolant temp seems ok for the different styles of driving and especially in this heat, fans kick in and cool things nicely, I do fancy one of the cooler Thermostats to help things down tho

Disappointred no oil temp or pressure on the FREE app, has anyone got the paid app and is it on there ?????

Also to get it on the Blackberry Playbook I will need a wi-fi version of the OBDII gizmo, anyone got one and tried it yet?

Last one now, anyone used them to find fault codes, tried it on 3 cars now but no fault codes :wink: