Suspension woes

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by blackpoolrock, May 12, 2013.

1. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

I got BC coil overs and the ok - had geo done at cotcomp but I still don't like it ! It's fine on the smooth roads but not good on bumpy roads oven on soft setting ! What do I need to do? If I'm driving hard my back end has been known to be 2 foot in the air ! Not good if coming to a corner

2. Gaz2293

Gaz2293 New Member

No coilovers are good on bumpy roads even the OEM Sti suspension doesn't like the harsh roads we have not a lot you can do about it mate apart from getting a monster truck, lol.

3. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

Well really cars cope with it !

4. Turbopercy

Turbopercy New Member

Yeah but have you seen the coilovers on a rally car they are nearly twice as big as your coilovers thats why whenn they are on the gravwl stages you could fit your head in the wheel arch while the wheel is still on

5. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

So if I buy a set of Tarmac rally coilovers is should be ok !!

6. mickp

mickp Well-Known Member

To me, almost all those that go the coilover route seem to end up unhappy in some way. Set up seems to be an issue and I am not sure there is a set up that gives results on smooth tarmac and our islands numerous pot holed roads.

Am I wrong ??

7. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

I know it won't be smooth but I'm fed up with the back end coming off the ground !

8. Gaz2293

Gaz2293 New Member

More than likely but your arch gaps between the wheel and the wing will be about 6 inch :D

Certain roads you can't go fast in because of the terrain but I doubt your car is 2 foot in the air at the back :lol: just choose wisely where to drive it properly would be my advice, regardless of what you have fitted you are always going to have issues with our roads.

Mick to a degree you are right, I'm changing my OEM struts and springs for a set of AST's(same as Type 20) but are fitted on the rubber topmounts and not the metal camber plates and believe it or not these will be a little smoother than what I have at the moment but with having the benefit of adjustable damping to stiffen/soften it up a bit.....hopefully :)

9. Graphite

Graphite 23rd June 2016 - Vote LEAVE EU!

Used to get an uncomfortable ride over our local potholed roads even with my LandRover Discovery... :(

10. Braggy71

Braggy71 Well-Known Member

Must just be me - I can't complain about the set up I have got the meister's seem to cope very well with the bumps, and for those that know our estate has incredibly bumpy roads !!! :?

11. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

It's not the bumps that do me it's the humps the bigger than average ones - Gaz I can confirm the rear was in the air according to the r6 chasing me

12. Meister-R's are still one of our best sellers when it comes to Coilovers for the scoob. We worked with Meister to get the spring rates just right for our UK roads and we are still working with the company on new setups.

Also in the next few weeks we will have all the corner weighting equipment so that we can offer the full package when it somes to setting up a car perfectly for both the road and track. The lad who I have just took on who does the work has 30 years experience in the WRC :wink:

If you are concerned that you don't have the right setup for how you drive then give us a call and I can setup a meeting with our guy or feel free to pop down Saturday as we are both in all day :wink:

13. Toffee

Toffee New Member

Need to look at your ARB settings mate, if the spring rates are about 4>6kg on the rear and you have softened the dampers up, you need to look at your ARB settings, they may need to be softer. I am guessing you have checked your tyre pressures? If your driving like you are explaining???? your rear tyre psi should be about 28/29 psi when cold, fronts about 27/28psi cold

14. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

I'm at 30psi all round and standard arb settings until I get this whitline stuff off cams next week. It's hard to describe the way it drives - it still very understeery on turn in but grips well when it's settled. It's the wavy roads ! I'm hitting my head on the roof and everything !

15. andyroop1

andyroop1 Member

Move to Japan problem solved :lol:

16. chrisr

chrisr Active Member

Or drive slower

17. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

Coast road I southport I'm doing 30 in a 50 and bouncing on the ceiling !

18. Widdowmaker

Widdowmaker Well-Known Member

Even on my push bike that Road is hell........ buts its awesome fun watching the coaches go down there!

Its not a typical road, so I would not base all your handling requirements and opinions purely on that road.

19. blackpoolrock

blackpoolrock New Member

I don't just giving an extream example !

20. Watky

Watky New Member

Worst thing ever purchased for my scoob....ever!

There just not needed for normal ish road use. Good luck with your AST's Gaz! youll need it lol