Legacy 2.0GT spec.B engine rebuild @ Scooby Spares

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Graphite, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Graphite

Graphite 23rd June 2016 - Vote LEAVE EU!

My poor lonely baby in the yard at Scooby Spares...

[​IMG]

My old short engine - open deck block...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My quad AVCS heads - to be put on the STi8 short engine after skimming, cleaning of combustion chamber and clearing of oilways etc...

[​IMG]

My TD04HLA-19T turbo...

[​IMG]

My turbo outlet gasket on a VF37 turbo outlet just for 'interest' sake :wink: ...

[​IMG]

'My corner box' at Scooby Spares ...

[​IMG]

Donor engine in situ ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully will be sorted by middle of next week.... 8)

2. skins21

skins21 Active Member

8) 8)

3. st3vo

st3vo New Member

nice

bet you cant wait can you :)

4. Wilky1974

Wilky1974 Member

.....glad it's all being sorted mate. Really felt for you when I read your post. :D

5. adamb87

adamb87 New Member

nice one pal. my heart sank when i heard it start to knock :( hope it comes back better than before !!

6. Graphite

Thanks guys.. :D

I'm hoping when AndrewC works his magic - it will be rebuilt better, stronger, faster than ever before... - and hopefully not cost me $6,000,000 :lol: (for those of you too young to understand the reference... http://youtu.be/HofoK_QQxGc :mrgreen: )

7. ELV1S

ELV1S Administrator

That will be a strong motor when it's done Mick, bet you can't wait.

As for TSMDM my favourite program as a kid, I had the wallpaper, t-shirt, the toy action man with rocket that turned into an operating table, an engine so he could lift it with his Bionic arm, great show, I have them on DVD now :wink: :)

8. Graphite

Cheers Dave :D

I don't suppose that lovely red STi inlet manifold would fit my rebuilt engine in place of the black plastic one? Any disadvantages if it did - other than the extra weight of course...

Would there be any problem with painting mine whilst it's off? - I'm tempted now that I have an official 'modded STi engine' :lol: to do a bit more with the STi theming of the car ;) :mrgreen:

9. thenewgalaxy

thenewgalaxy Member

Glad it's getting sorted and not costing you the earth.

What engine is that you're transferring over?

Should be even more of a sleeper to the uneducated out there when the job is completed :D

10. Graphite

They will use the short engine from the STi 8 that they have in the compound. 56k on the clock and known to be a reliable and sweet running engine. It should give me a stronger bottom end and the ability to try a little more boost id my TD04HLA-19T has enough puff to go any more :lol: It was reaching 1.3 bar when Andrew was last tweaking it - so hopefully there is a little more to come...

He has been in contact :D - and I have a session booked in a week or so to do a proper mapping session - so looking forward to that 8) He says the car should not need running in as such, and should be safe to drive 'normally' - don't know what that means :shock: :? :lol: - normal for who? Dave-W :lol: - and to check fluids every day for the 1st week...

11. ProdriveWagon

ProdriveWagon 3rd Scoob = an ej20 engined Hatch

Glad it's getting sorted, bet ya can't wait to drive it normally eh! :lol:

12. Graphite

Ha... :cry: looks like there was a problem with the 56k engine - so they have sourced another one... Is now built up and will be ready tomorrow (Sat) now - before Neil goes home at lunchtime hopefully :lol:

13. Graphite

Legacy is home today :D

She was a bit low on oil when I got home (slowly :wink: ) from Fleetwood... So I've topped her up and will see how the level behaves itself over the next couple of days before mapping with Mr Carr :mrgreen:

14. Widdowmaker

Widdowmaker Well-Known Member

Glad shes home Mick!!!

Enjoy pal!!!

15. Graphite

Thanks Jim - need to be patient though until Tuesday with AndrewC... :shock:

16. adamb87

adamb87 New Member

glad to see it back and breathing again :)

17. Graphite

Getting mapped today with AndrewC [​IMG]

18. dave-w-

dave-w- Well-Known Member

glad its all sorted m8 have fun with andy 8)

19. Graphite

Well... good day in the end... :D

Arrived at CAMS (Darwen) to meet Andrew...

[​IMG]

Andrew engine checklight fault code and found it was a hard fault relating to the sensors for the AVCS - passenger side exhaust camshaft...

[​IMG]

Looked like the sensor had probably been knocked when the engine was lowered back in to engine bay and gone unnoticed... Fortunately Brian had loads of parts in the workshop Andrew determined that it was not the same part as early models... but suspected that it was the same as later 2.5 WRX - He cajoled Brian into letting us try one from a complete engine he is saving for a good sale...

[​IMG]

It fitted and worked when connected up to the gurus laptop and showed all the anticipated readings when tested

with everything eventually 'tickety boo' about 2 hours later we were able to set up the car for some road mapping... - and my car became a member of the Borg Collective

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An interesting fault code appeared on the dash whilst the ECU was being flashed...

[​IMG]

The car felt great but then I have only been occasionally driving feeble 1.4 engines over the last month but Andrew says changing the NPS has allowed him to control the Inlet AVCS and add a bit of timing, with the STi 8 short engine he has felt confident to lean out the AFR a little and pull up the boost midrange too - so overall should be a solid increase in performance - a comfortable 320 with more in the midrange as well - but he won't commit to predicting any more than that but would like to see the dyno figures now... As would I :lol:

He has also promised to update us with some comments and hopfully some graphs of changes he has seen.

Big thanks Andrew 8)

20. Graphite

Nice result at JCA RR today - thanks AndrewC, the JCA team, Brian at CAMS and Scooby Spares 8)