Clutch slipping

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by AD, Dec 30, 2012.

1. AD

AD New Member

So using it as its designed ie blasting down be roads using the torque to pull you out of the corners etc or track use will result in a much reduced clutch life? I don't drive like this but as most Subaru owners inc most on here enjoy the odd track day, ring trip or butter tubs run, all enjoyable most would agree. I want to experience all of these in my Subaru but don't fancy replacing the clutch every 12 months, and has also got me thinking about upgrading the turbo as this would increase the torque and power. Car running great Andrew since you sorted other than the clutch. Will fit a pink box clutch as per recommendations and if they capable of 350-400 bhp and torque should be ok for mine even if I get a upgrade turbo?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Without throwing fuel on the fire my clutch is 13 years old and the original this year standard and done 105,000 miles. Hence i keep my engine standard and suffer no issues. IF the engine ever expires i'll drop in an STi 8 engine. simples :D

Michael

3. AD

AD New Member

A lot to be said for keeping it standard I suppose. But I think if you modify and get extra power as long as you do your home work and install quality parts that are capable of doing the job intended then all should be good. That's the good thing about this forum is the amount of experience and knowledge on hand.

4. HouseMartin

HouseMartin Member

FFS AD if its broke, fix it, that's what our cars do, never mind if its rated to what.
    Things brake, fact of life.
    Fun = ££££

5. AD

AD New Member

I get that, all I am saying is a clutch should last longer than 10k, fun does come at a cost granted but I haven't had the benefit, and the info I am gathering is wether this is normal or not and what is best to do next then I don't waste money on a clutch which won't last, false economy etc. Thanks for your input tho :wink:

6. markscooby

markscooby Active Member

sits at back of room laughing........................................... pmsl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: some people carnt tie there own shoe lase now

7. AD

AD New Member

Fair do's

8. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Your car is now producing a fair bit more torque than either standard or the PPP ECU that was fitted previously, and clearly too much torque for the clutch that is fitted. I don't believe it is anything to do with the clutch wearing out there is simply not enough clamping force and/or friction to prevent slipping.

We (you and I) both thought that the car had an Exedy fast road clutch fitted which is more than capable of handling the torque your car has now and that could be safely produced by either a TD04 hybrid or one of the VF range turbos you have been looking at.

Andrew...

9. AD

AD New Member

Cheers Andrew as you say it must be the torque figure making it slip, going to get a few things done on the car in a few weeks, rocker cover gasket and plugs, then will get a pink box fitted by Brian hopefully early feb, and turbo shortly after funds dependant £60 mods!!! :wink:

10. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Also worth checking for any signs of oil in the bellhousing?

Andrew...

11. AD

AD New Member

12. Adgespeed

Adgespeed Active Member

Although crankshaft oilseals and the cover on the block can weep oil or have a slight leak its unusual for oil to actually get on the clutch plate as it tends to run down the block between the block and the back of the flywheel and would be visible from underneath or certainly when the clutch was being changed.
    If there was enough oil to get on the plate I would expect you would notice it under where you park the car.

With regard to Exedy clutches there are copies out there so you need to make sure you get one from a reputable source.

You could get an AP Racing clutch as that would cope pretty much with what ever you could throw at it, but they do come at a price of approx £500

13. Might be worth the investment - all depends on what power / torque your aiming for.
    I was happy how the car was when I opted to change the clutch as a precaution, so went with a suitable clutch at that moment in time.

Obviously your recent remap has pushed that particular clutch past its limits, so as Adge says, it maybe worth investing in one that can handle prity much anything, especially as your thinking of changing the Turbo etc.