Impreza has died on me

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Rich_D, Nov 17, 2010.

1. ellierotty

ellierotty Member

Did ya manage to sort it out matey??

2. edmy716

edmy716 Member

have u done a compression check?

ant

3. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

Nope, its just sat on the drive, now SORN as I've not had time to get it sorted

Too busy with work, family life and my Dad is also seriously ill, so the car has taken a back seat

I really need to get it running though, not driven it for over 4 months now :(

4. Toffee

Toffee New Member

Man that is a bummer, must be so frustrating. Worst thing is it is probably summit or nowt as well :?

5. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

Yeah, it is frustrating to see it sat there

Hopefully now the weather is getting better and its lighter at night, I can get it sorted soon

6. Toffee

Toffee New Member

good luck fella 8)

7. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

Finally bought a new timing belt over the weekend and got the car in bits ready to replace it and re-time the engine

Turns out the belt I was sold was too short, so I had to take it back, ended up getting a refund :roll:

However... when I had it all in bits and the old belt off, I discovered that the crank pulley was not lined up either, not good :shock:

There's no way that I can't have bent some valves with 2 pulleys out and I don't have the time, money or motivation to get the engine out and repair it, so if that's the case I am cutting my losses and getting rid of it.

Will have one last attempt at re-timing the pulleys with the old belt, turn the key and see what happens, but I don't expect a happy outcome. :(

How much is a 1999 UK model Turbo 2000 with a non-running engine worth?

It's in 559 red, pretty good condition, not rusty, only done 86k miles, service history, pretty much standard & unmolested, etc...

8. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

and before someone says 'break it for spares' again, I do not have the time or motivation to do so

9. markscooby

markscooby Active Member

u doing the right thing by retimin it back up u never know u may be lucky its only cost u a couple of hours of your time

10. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

exactly, if it's damaged, it will already be done, so I need to at least try just to be sure

what's the worst that can happen? :lol:

[​IMG]

11. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

Update on this...

I finally re-timed the engine up, everything is lined up correctly and it still won't fire :cry:

The engine turns over faster/easier than it should, meaning low compression, which confirms that pistons have kissed valves, Doh!

So I am removing all the mods and returning to car to standard, then selling it as a non-runner, I've given up now.

How much is it worth?

12. Scottydog

Scottydog New Member

The xact same thing happened to me last year, it was the Subaru immobiliser (three way) it would not allow power to the fuelpump, I had it bypassed and it was sorted.

13. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

if only it were that simple :(

14. Rich_D

Rich_D Member

Well it's finally going, I have removed most of the mods and a guy I work with is having it for £600

He is planning to get the engine sorted and use it as a toy / track car, so at least it will live to see another day and not be scrapped. 8)

I'm then going to sell all the mods I removed (ECU, gauges, etc) to get some money back so I've not lost a fortune, I've already sold the alloys, hopefully the rest will go

When it was running I loved every minute of it, just a shame it ended this way, I may get another one day but for now I am loving the BMW