What next

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Blingscooby, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Blingscooby

Blingscooby Active Member

Hello people I have a 1993 Impreza WRX Jap import with the following mods:-

Megan racing manafold
    Full 3" exhaust system from turbo back
    exeedy clutch
    lightened & balanced flywheel
    HKS FCD
    Walbro fuel pump
    Simota induction
    Uprated NGK spark plugs
    STi suspension
    4 Pot calipers
    Braided brake hoses

Question is where do I go from here? Any advice welcome.

2. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Where do you want to go with the car?

What do you use it for?

Intercooler is the weaklink in your current setup, with a decent TMIC or FMIC and remap/new ECU you could optimise the mods you have. You will need to do this anyway if you are considering a bigger turbo/injectors etc.

Or if you want to use it on track then start thinking about coilovers, decent brakes and better diffs.

Andrew...

3. Blingscooby

Thanks for the reply, Im not really sure how far I want to take the car at the end of the day its a toy as I don use it for work. I recently looked into a re-map but most places say you can map the ECU on a 93 impreza and give me a quote for a £1500 piggy back unit (Far too expensive). It would be nice to get the car over 300bhp but Im not sure if this is possible without going into many thousands of pounds. I have been looking @ FMIC on ebay is there a certain sort I should go for?

4. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

That is a silly price for a remap, you could get an Apexi PFC fitted and mapped for less than half of that.

FMIC is quite a lot of work and there are TMIC alternatives for upto around 350-360bhp on a classic.

Andrew...

5. KEV C

KEV C Lifetime and founder member

I had a 94wrx and with similar mods to you plus FMIC, Boost Controller and Lightened pulleys and easily got over 300bhp running it safely at 1.1bar of boost. At 1.3 bar it was good for around 330/340bhp.

ps.First Get a Knocklink!!!

6. Godzilla

Godzilla New Member

Agree with everything said.

Knocklinks a must.

Intercooler is the weak link power wise. I got 330bhp out of a classic with your type of intercooler but it was absolutely MAXED out at that. I presume you are running more than standard boost because you have an FCD. What boost are you currently running?

Apexi is far and away the best ECU option for you and the only one Id even consider to be honest.

Coilovers and uprated anti roll bars and links will also make a TREMENDOUS difference to even your STi setup. Tein do some great and cheap coilover kits which will make the car easily able to outcorner most other Subarus, as so many owners neglect suspension in terms of modding. What good is 400bhp if you can go round corners (unles you are 1/4 miling it). But even so, a good suspension setup will help your launch. A 4 point lower front strutbrace is also a lovely cheap mod. <£100.

7. Blingscooby

How much will a knock link set me back and what are they like to fit? Also where is the best place to buy an Apexi unit and what cost am I looking at? Thanks for the info so far.

8. Blingscooby

Just checked what boost my car is running @ its a fraction under 1.0 bar. Kris

9. KEV C

KEV C Lifetime and founder member

10. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Easiest to find a mapper and get them to supply, fit and map the Apexi.

11. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Ive got a friend selling a knocklink with sensor if you still need one.

Andrew...

12. Blingscooby

How much is he after fo it? Cheers Kris.

13. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

Not sure just waiting to hear back from him, it also has the LEDs extended for remote mounting.

Andrew...

14. Blingscooby

Cool, if the price is right I will have it.

15. AndrewC

AndrewC Active Member

£100 is the asking price.

Andrew...

16. Blingscooby

Ill have it. Thanks

17. KK3960

KK3960 Active Member

Hey Kris

Just noticed that you have the same Christian or should that be Kristian name as me!
    Very unique.[:D]

Kris

18. Gemxx

Gemxx New Member

<font color="purple"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Rare but not unique as you have pointed out we have two here[;)][:)]</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="purple">

19. gerry

gerry Active Member

bet no one called smith on here!! now thats rare!! LOL

20. Blingscooby

Cool, very rare to get someone else with their name spelt the same as mine.

Kris