oil cooler

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by madman, Oct 29, 2016.

1. madman

madman Well-Known Member

Hi all.
    Is there a need for a oil cooler on my wrx . Not sure if there is one already fitted on the sti. As I use it as a daily driver . and it gets a good tickle now and again is there the need for one

2. ZANNY

ZANNY JDM WIDETRACK SPEC Z

I'm sure these impreza's have a genuine standard oilcooler Paul where you're oil filter sits and performs adequately and unless your going for monster bhp this idea would be an overkill IMO
    These high performance cars are made to take it as long as you feed them and treat them right

3. madman

madman Well-Known Member

sorted was just seeing if it was a thing to give the engine some cooling

4. ZANNY

Regular weekly oil checks and 6k mile service on the oil you can't go wrong Paul

5. madman

madman Well-Known Member

I do that any way lol

6. scooby251

scooby251 Well-Known Member

you shouldn't need an oil cooler for a road car. Subaru spent a lot of time and money developing the car. You will be fine.
    You will only need an oil cooler if you use it on track or if it's heavily modified and you drive it hard on the road for long periods.
    Standard Sti's don't have them either, only curtain models such as the spec c's came with oil coolers

7. madman

madman Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the info didn't know sti didn't have one :happy:

8. ZANNY

I think you'll find the sti's do have an oil cooler it's a modine one where the oil filter goes on to but hey I could be wrong..

9. ZANNY

Sti ones have the modine and the spec C's come with the modine and an external cooler which is thermostatically controlled here's a few pics

10. ZANNY

11. scooby251

scooby251 Well-Known Member

I see where you are coming from, but personally when people ask about oil coolers I talk external coolers

ZANNY likes this.
  12. ZANNY

You would bro you're just too hardcore " mr RA-R " :rock:

13. TunnelMeister

TunnelMeister Lifetime & Founder Member

Phew, glad that's sorted... lol.

So, back to the question, it's a no then.:D

Wonder if there's one on the 22....... :think:;)

14. madman

madman Well-Known Member