2004 wrx front calipers

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Dan, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Dan

Dan Member

hi, does anyone know if the front 4 piston calipers have slider pins or is it just the pistons ? the brakes are binding and when i brake hard they stick on and it doesnt want to move,happened 5 mins from home yesterday and by the time i got home they were smoking,,it freed itself up the next morning,,but was still binding abit and not rolling freely......any advice please.

2. madman

madman Well-Known Member

are your pads free in the callipers

3. Dan

Dan Member

no there pushed against the discs,,the pads are always rubbing and getting warm,,when i brake (about half a press),,they bind on to the point where the car does'nt want to move,,and after a while (parked up) it becomes unstuck but are still rubbing,,,,like it eases off just enough to move..then feels like driving with flat tyres.

4. madman

madman Well-Known Member

hi mate I used to get this a bit on my brembos think it was just a build up of brake dust and crap. I used to take pads out good clean. clean all the pins clips and callipers dab of copper grease on back of pads to stop brake noise

5. madman

madman Well-Known Member

see if when you slide pads back in they slide in and out of calliper free. if not you may have to as I did file ends of pads

6. Dan

Dan Member

will do mate, what bit did you file? its brembo discs and pads i got ( 50% off at eurocar parts atm)..what are they like for dust ?

7. Dan

Dan Member

sorry mate think i confused the question lol,,,im having the binding prob now,so trying to figure out whats causing it as ive got new discs and pads ready to be fitted.

8. madman

madman Well-Known Member

lol I understand. but that could be what's causing the problem that the old pads are not free in the calliper so as you brake the pads are touching disc and not releasing so heat is building up and making pads stick on

9. madman

madman Well-Known Member

dan please understand I am no brake expert I am only giving you my info on problem as I had the same and what I have told you worked for me on my car

10. HAGGY

HAGGY Admin

sounds like the pistons in the calipers are sticking ,, try one of our sponsors for some advice Dan ,, cotcomp .cams , adgespeed ,, ;)

11. Dan

Dan Member

madman thanks for the advice,, stripping them down tomorrow and fitting the new discs n pads,,ill lookout for that filing thingy cheers mate

12. Dan

Dan Member

hi haggy,,,il see how the new discs n pads and a grease up go,,,,if no joy ill take it to cotcomp...thanks mate.

HAGGY likes this.
  13. Jwrx

Jwrx Active Member

I made my own pistons out of stainless steel, got a refurb kit New seals etc and fit them at cams whilst Brian changed my discs, no more binding!

14. Dan

Dan Member

cheers for the advice guys,, turns out the pistons were seized, 3 on the passenger side and 2 on the drivers side,,father in law managed to free them up and re-grease them,,but the seals were no good so its a temp fix to keep me mobile,,ill be getting a couple of new calipers asap as the backs of them were crumbling apart,,can anyone recommend a good brand......and thanks again for your advice.

15. madman

madman Well-Known Member

glad you got it sorted dan

16. cuprajake

cuprajake Guest

most upgrade to the sti brembo

17. Dan

Dan Member

cheers madman

18. Dan

Dan Member

cuprajake,,,,id love to pal,,,but there it bit out of my price range atm