Altenator/power steering belts

Discussion in 'All Things Technical' started by Widdowmaker, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Widdowmaker

Widdowmaker Well-Known Member

Car broke down this morning, with no battery power. The steering wheel went heavy and The car rolled to a stop. Lifted the bonnet and the belt to the left, power steering had worn through. The right belt, alterator, looked fine. Had it lifted to a garage, they replaced both belts, all good. Drove home tonight, no problems but when parking the car in the garage, I smelt burning rubber.
    Now it could be debris, but I am more inclined to think, that it' something more? Am I being over cautious?
    Do pulley wheels seize?
    What i dont understand is why the battery stopped charging when the left belt broke or does the left belt run the right belt?.
    Can I see if pulley wheels are seized? Is it that obvious?
    Any advice greatlfully received?
    Cheers.

2. HAGGY

HAGGY Admin

jim , have you looked at the pulleys while engine idles ? you might spot the belt slipping ,, or does it happen when you turn lock to lock with steering ? i would of thought the garage would of checked the pulleys and belt were running fine before you took it away !

3. Widdowmaker

Widdowmaker Well-Known Member

No pal, haven' looked yet. It was freezing, snowing and dark. It'l be a weekend job now.
    I don' hear them slipping or screeching when driving, but there is a skweek thats unusual.
    I'm sure the garage would have checked, but it may be just a developing fault.

4. HAGGY

HAGGY Admin

well , if a pulley is seized you will see the belt slipping , or maybe its not tight enough either , hope yr find out soon jim !